Normal Operating Hours
Breakfast served Saturday and Sunday 9-1045
Please check back often, as our hours change with the Seasons!
For road conditions please call the Pima County hotline at 520 547 7510
Certified Service Animals Only Please
The Sawmill Run Restaurant is named in honor of two sawmills that once existed on this very location.
The original sawmill on this site dates back almost a hundred years. Jim Westfall, the first forest ranger on Mount Lemmon, later began to build cabins on the mountain for the Summerhaven Land and Improvement Company. He found an old sawmill once used in mining operations on the north side of the Catalina Mountains, and in the winter of 1915-16 he hauled it up to Summerhaven. With his wife Leeta working along side of him, he used that mill to build cabins in Soldier’s Camp as well as the Neoli Lodge and La Mariposa Hotel in Summerhaven.
Tony Zimmerman, a teacher at Safford Junior High in Tucson, fell in love with Mount Lemmon when he went deer hunting with his school principal in 1937. Zimmerman wanted to purchase some land on Mount Lemmon and in Zimmerman’s opinion the Sawmill Tract, seen first by visitors as they drove down the hill into Summerhaven, was the most valuable business property on the mountain. He promptly bought it, and in 1943 he retired from teaching and purchased a used Corely No. 4 Sawmill, also setting it up on the site of this restaurant. He milled lumber to build a new store and eventually the adjoining Mount Lemmon Inn across the road from this restaurant. Both store and inn burned down in 1977. The present day Mount Lemmon Community Center stands on that site.
The Sawmill Run Restaurant and the Community Center remind us of the history of Mount Lemmon in which Tony Zimmerman played an essential role.
Are you visiting Mount Lemmon and are interested in what it has to offer?
Then check out!